The library offers select volunteer opportunities. For working at the library, please see our Careers section.
Envision Financial Reading Buddies
Become a Big Buddy with Envision Financial Reading Buddies. Applications open twice a year, spring and fall.
Teen Library Council
Join the Teen Library Council to become a youth ambassador for the library. Applications open once a year in summer.
Teen Book Review
Do you love reading and want to get your hands on brand-new YA novels – even titles that haven’t been published yet? Join the Teen Book Review! Pick up a new YA book at any participating branch, read the book at home, and then write a review. Earn volunteer hours and have your reviews posted on our website!
How it Works
- Visit any of our participating branches (City Centre, Clayton, Cloverdale, Fleetwood, Guildford, Newton, Port Kells, and Semiahmoo) to pick up an Advanced Review Copy of a new teen novel
- Follow this template to write your review
- Reviews should be short: between 250 and 300 words
- Email us your review (contact information will be given to you when you sign up at your local branch)
- Your review will be posted under the book on our website and sent off to the book’s publisher/distributor. Let us know if you’d like your review to be posted anonymously
- Limit of 1 submission per week
- Your review must be in your own words. Do not copy or re-word other reviews that you find online. We check every review for plagiarism
- A review must be submitted to earn volunteer hours
- Volunteer hours are calculated by staff based on the number of pages in the Advanced Review Copies
- Each 100 pages equals 1 hour of volunteer time. If a book is within 20 pages of the next hour, it can be rounded up (e.g. a book with 293 pages will count as 3 hours)
- Writing your book review equals 1 hour of volunteer time
- A letter confirming your hours can be written upon request
- You must be a Surrey resident
- For teens ages 12-18
Adult Literacy Tutoring
Become an adult literacy tutor with the Learn with a Friend Community Adult Literacy Program. Volunteers provide literacy/numeracy tutoring and support of adult learners on a one to one basis. Must be 19 years or older, have excellent English language skills, High School Graduation. For more information phone Eva Touzard at 604 596-7722 ext. 138 or email: email@example.com
The Partners Tutoring Program offers free one-to-one tutoring to adult learners. Volunteer tutors receive 15 hours of training and ongoing support. Minimum qualifications are fluency in English with excellent written and oral skills, High School graduation or equivalent, and must be 19 years of age. Phone 778-242-READ (7323) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Delivery Volunteers
READ-Ability Services is looking for volunteers in the City Centre, and Cloverdale areas. Home Delivery Volunteers are responsible for delivering library materials to homes and care centres. Volunteers need to enjoy working with people, have enthusiasm for books and reading, and be able to work cooperatively and respectfully with seniors and persons with special needs. You can learn more on our news page or hear about the experiences of a retiring volunteer.
More Volunteer Opportunities
Participate and get involved in your community by volunteering with the City of Surrey.