The library offers select volunteer opportunities. For working at the library, please see our Careers section.
Teen Library Council
Join the Teen Library Council to become a youth ambassador for the library. Applications open once a year in summer.
Read Woke Challenge
Are you passionate about social justice, reading, and writing? Join the Read Woke Challenge from January to June 2021. Share what you learned with others. Earn volunteer hours by submitting your writing and be entered into a random prize draw each month.
The Read Woke Challenge was created by Cicely Lewis, a teacher, writer, librarian, and Person of Color from Georgia. The most important thing about the Read Woke Challenge is to read “Woke” books: anything that challenges you to think about other people, other places, or situations new to you.
In Lewis’ words: “Read Woke is a movement. It is a feeling. It is a style. It is a form of education. It is a call to action; it is our right as lifelong learners.”
How It Works
- You do not need to register or sign up.
- Borrow a “Woke” book, e-book, or audiobook
- Write a review using our template.
- The review should be minimum 200 words or maximum 250 words.
- Send your review and a photo of you with the book to email@example.com
- If you don’t want your face to be in the photo, you can cover your face with the book or take a photo of the book by itself. Be creative!
- Your review will be posted under the book on our website.
- Your name will be entered into a random prize draw for that month.
- Limit of 2 submissions per month.
- Your writing must be your own thoughts and words. Do not copy or re-word other reviews that you find online. We check every review for plagiarism.
- You must be a Surrey resident.
- A Surrey Libraries card number to borrow books
- The Libby by Overdrive App if you want to read e-books or listen to e-audiobooks (Note: it doesn’t work on Kindles)
- 1 winner will be randomly selected at the end of each month and receive a prize bundle.
- The winner’s first name, photo, and an excerpt of their review will be featured on our Instagram and Facebook.
- You will get 4 hours for your submission.
- A letter confirming your hours can be written upon request.
What to read
Below are some lists of books available at Surrey Libraries to get you started. If you wish to find your own book, just a reminder that a Woke Book should be by and about marginalized persons, and must:
- Challenge a social norm.
- Give voice to the voiceless.
- Provide information about a group that has been disenfranchised.
- Seek to challenge the status quo.
- Have a protagonist from an underrepresented or oppressed group.
Please note these lists are not definitive.
- Diverse Reads
- Rainbow Reads / LGTQ2IA+
- Orange Shirt Day
- Hispanic Culture
- Islamic Culture
- Black Heritage
- I Dream Library’s YA List for 2SLGBTQQIA+ BIPOC books
Adult Literacy Tutoring
Become an adult literacy tutor with the Learn with a Friend Community Adult Literacy Program. Volunteers provide literacy/numeracy tutoring and support of adult learners on a one to one basis. Must be 19 years or older, have excellent English language skills, High School Graduation. For more information phone Eva Touzard at 604 596-7722 ext. 138 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Partners Tutoring Program offers free one-to-one tutoring to adult learners. Volunteer tutors receive 15 hours of training and ongoing support. Minimum qualifications are fluency in English with excellent written and oral skills, High School graduation or equivalent, and must be 19 years of age. Phone 778-242-READ (7323) or email email@example.com
Home Delivery Volunteers
READ-Ability Services is looking for volunteers in the City Centre, and Cloverdale areas. Home Delivery Volunteers are responsible for delivering library materials to homes and care centres. Volunteers need to enjoy working with people, have enthusiasm for books and reading, and be able to work cooperatively and respectfully with seniors and persons with special needs. You can learn more on our news page or hear about the experiences of a retiring volunteer.
More Volunteer Opportunities
Participate and get involved in your community by volunteering with the City of Surrey.