The library offers select volunteer opportunities. For working at the library, please see our Careers section.
Teen Library Council
Join the Teen Library Council to become a youth ambassador for the library. Applications open once a year in summer.
During Surrey Libraries closure for COVID-19, the Envision Financial Reading Buddies program will not be taking place. We will update our website once we have more information about this valued program.
Become a Big Buddy with Envision Financial Reading Buddies. Applications open twice a year, spring and fall.
Teen Book Review Project
Join the Teen Book Review project. Read a book and let other teens know what you think! You get one volunteer hour for every 100 pages you read, and one additional hour for your rating and review.
How it Works
- Read any Young Adult eBook, with a publication year of 2018 or later.
- You will need an App called Libby by Overdrive AND be a Surrey resident to read our eBooks.
- Read any Young Adult book that’s from the library. Publication year doesn’t matter.
- The book MUST be labelled for “Teens” or “Young Adults”
- Email your review to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your full name, your home branch, the book title and author, and if you would like the review posted anonymously.
- Use this guide for writing your review and submit it in paragraph form.
- Limit of 3 submissions per week. You must be a Surrey resident.
- Your review must be in your own words. Plagiarism is not acceptable.
- A review must be submitted to earn volunteer hours.
- Volunteer hours for reading will be calculated by staff based on the number of pages in the print version.
- A letter confirming your hours can be written upon request.
Adult Literacy Tutoring
Become an adult literacy tutor with the Learn with a Friend Community Adult Literacy Program. Volunteers provide literacy/numeracy tutoring and support of adult learners on a one to one basis. Must be 19 years or older, have excellent English language skills, High School Graduation. For more information phone Eva Touzard at 604 596-7722 ext. 138 or email: email@example.com
The Partners Tutoring Program offers free one-to-one tutoring to adult learners. Volunteer tutors receive 15 hours of training and ongoing support. Minimum qualifications are fluency in English with excellent written and oral skills, High School graduation or equivalent, and must be 19 years of age. Phone 778-242-READ (7323) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Delivery Volunteers
READ-Ability Services is looking for volunteers in the City Centre, and Cloverdale areas. Home Delivery Volunteers are responsible for delivering library materials to homes and care centres. Volunteers need to enjoy working with people, have enthusiasm for books and reading, and be able to work cooperatively and respectfully with seniors and persons with special needs. You can learn more on our news page or hear about the experiences of a retiring volunteer.
More Volunteer Opportunities
Participate and get involved in your community by volunteering with the City of Surrey.