Envision Financial Reading Buddies
Become a Big Buddy with Envision Financial Reading Buddies. Applications open twice a year, spring and fall. For teens ages 14-18.
Teen Library Council
Join the Teen Library Council to become a youth ambassador for the library. Applications open once a year in summer. For teens ages 13-18.
Are you looking for a fun way to earn some volunteer hours? Do you enjoy reading a variety of genres? Join our Teen Read & Review program! Every two months we’ll have a new genre and a new list of books for you to choose from. Check out any book on the list, read it, and send us a review. Earn volunteer hours and have your reviews posted on our website!
How it works
- Browse the current list of books. Check back every second month for a new link and a new list.
- Choose one of the books from the list and check out a copy from your local branch.
- You must follow this template.
- Reviews should be short: around 250 words.
- Email your review to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and branch.
- Limit of 2 submissions per month.
- Reviews must be submitted before midnight on the last day of the month (e.g. all January reviews must be sent in by Jan 31 at 11:59pm). We’ll move on to a new list of books starting on the 1st of every second month.
- Your review will be posted on our catalogue under your first name. Let us know if you’d prefer it to be posted anonymously.
- Your review must be in your own words. Do not copy or re-word other reviews that you find online. We check every review for plagiarism.
- Each 100 pages equals 1 hour of volunteer time. If a book is within 20 pages of the next hour, it can be rounded up (e.g. a book with 293 pages will count as 3 hours).
- We’ll use the page numbers from the library’s printed copy to calculate your volunteer hours.
- Writing your book review equals 1 additional hour of volunteer time.
- Book reviews must be submitted to earn volunteer hours.
- A letter confirming your hours can be written upon request.
- You must be a Surrey resident.
- For teens ages 12-18.
Adult Literacy Tutoring
Become an adult literacy tutor with the Learn with a Friend Community Adult Literacy Program. Volunteers provide literacy/numeracy tutoring and support of adult learners on a one to one basis. Must be 19 years or older, have excellent English language skills, High School Graduation. For more information phone Eva Touzard at 604 596-7722 ext. 138 or email: email@example.com
The Partners Tutoring Program offers free one-to-one tutoring to adult learners. Volunteer tutors receive 15 hours of training and ongoing support. Minimum qualifications are fluency in English with excellent written and oral skills, High School graduation or equivalent, and must be 19 years of age. Phone 778-242-READ (7323) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Delivery Volunteers
Accessibility Services is looking for volunteers in the City Centre, and Cloverdale areas. Home Delivery Volunteers are responsible for delivering library materials to homes and care centres. Volunteers need to enjoy working with people, have enthusiasm for books and reading, and be able to work cooperatively and respectfully with seniors and persons with special needs. You can learn more on our news page or hear about the experiences of a retiring volunteer.
More Volunteer Opportunities
Participate and get involved in your community by volunteering with the City of Surrey.