Surrey Libraries accepts donations of lightly used books and magazines.
What we can accept
Used books and magazines in good condition and of current interest
Fewer than 10 books at one time at any branch.
Must be published within the last 2 years.
Maximum of 5 of these 10 can be in another language that we carry.
If you have more than 10 items, please check Surrey Reuses which lists other organizations that accept book donations.
- LEGO® & DUPLO® for children's programming. Please contact your local library
Books and magazines not added to our collection are sold in our book sales. We use the revenue to help buy new materials.
To be eligible for a tax receipt, new book donations are first evaluated by Collections Services staff and must have the original sales receipt. If the book is accepted, a tax receipt is issued. New items not suitable for the collection are returned to the donor.
What we cannot accept
- Videos, DVDs, CDs or computer software (for copyright reasons)
- Damaged materials (e.g, yellowed, marked, mouldy, or underlined)
- Cardboard boxes
Other ways to recycle your used materials
- Donate items to your local thrift store or charity
- Donate magazines or books with pictures or photographs to a daycare, preschool, or school
- Recycle unwanted CDs, videos and tapes at your local recycling depot. Call the Recycling Hotline at 604-RECYCLE (604-732-9253)
- Surrey Reuses has options for donating books