Learn about pension programs, help with income assistance or disability applications, rent supports and more.

In person help is available at the two locations below for Service Canada programs.

Service Canada North Surrey
13889 104th Avenue Surrey, BC

Service Canada South Surrey
103-15295 Highway 10  Surrey

Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (Service Canada)
Tel: 1-866-742-3644 (7:00 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time)
The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant (AIG) is a taxable cash grant of $1,000 per year, up to a maximum of $2,000 per person. It is available to registered apprentices in a Red Seal trade once they have successfully finished their first or second year/level (or equivalent). There is also a Apprenticeship Completion Grant available once you have finished and an Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women of $3,000 per year. 

Askanadvocate.ca by SOURCES
Provides basic and clear information about income assistance, disability benefits (provincial and federal), tenancy, and other income supports. Has videos, FAQs, fact sheets, and links to other services and resources. 

The Benefits Finder
Online tool helps find what government benefits you are eligible for.

Canada Learning Bond & RESP
Tel: 1-855-737-7252    info@smartsaver.org
Start your child’s education savings with money from the government of Canada. The Canada Learning Bond is a grant of up to $2,000 deposited into the RESP of an eligible child.  Children born January 1, 2004 and after are eligible.  Some other eligibility requirements apply.

Canada Pension Plan (CPP) & Survivor Benefits(Service Canada)
Tel: 1-800-277-9914
The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Retirement Pension provides a monthly taxable benefit to retired contributors.   Canada Pension Plan enhancement: Starting in 2019, the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) will be gradually enhanced. This will only affect you if, as of 2019, you work and make contributions to the CPP. The enhancement will increase CPP retirement, disability and survivor’s pensions you may receive.

Credit Counselling Society of BC
Suite 201 15399 102A Ave Surrey BC
Tel: 604-527-8999  
Non-profit service helping people from all walks of life manage their money and debt better. No walk-ins, call for appointment.

Debtors Anonymous
Tel: 604-878-3328      
A group meeting for people dealing with compulsive debt. Gather to share experiences, strengths and hopes and work to solve common problems and help others recover.

Emergency Income Assistance
Tel: 604-660-3194 (Self referral)
After hours Emergency Food & Shelter Line. Families are entitled to emergency food, shelter, and medical transportation.

Guaranteed Income supplement (Service Canada)
Tel: 1-800-277-9914     
The Guaranteed Income Supplement provides additional money, on top of the Old Age Security pension, to low-income seniors living in Canada. To be eligible for the GIS benefit, must be receiving the Old Age Security pension and meet the income requirements. Service also available through Service Canada Centre's.

Guide to Canadian Scholarships
Learn about scholarships available for university or college. This book is available at Surrey Libraries and covers a wide range of scholarship options.

Last Post Fund
Tel: 1-800-465-7113 
Helps pay funeral and burial expenses for qualifying service members with the Canadian Military. Also can provide grave markers.

Old Age Security Pension & Survivor Allowance (Service Canada)
Tel: 1-800-277-9914
The Old Age Security pension is a monthly payment available to most Canadians aged 65+. You must apply to receive benefits. The Survivor Allowance is federal income benefit for low-income seniors who are 60 to 64 and whose spouse is collecting OAS and GIS or whose spouse has died. Must also meet legal and residency requirements.

Post-Secondary Student Support Program
BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres
551 Chatham St. Victoria BC V8T 1E1

Tel: 1-250-388-5522   education@bcaafc.com
Provides financial assistance to eligible students towards the cost of their post-secondary education. Students in the following categories are eligible:

  • Northwest Territory or Nunavut Inuit students who have been residing in British Columbia for 12 consecutive months
  • British Columbia registered members who do not have Band membership or an affiliation with a Band (BC General List)
  • Status Indian students who are affiliated with a BC First Nation as indicated on Status Card but do not have Band membership.

Registered Disability Savings Plan
Tel: 1-800-959-8281
A registered disability savings plan (RDSP). It is a savings plan to help parents and others save for the long term financial security of a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC).

Rental Assistance Program 
Tel: 604-433-2218  
Provides eligible low-income, working families help with their rent. To qualify, families must have a gross household income of $40,000 or less, at least one dependent child, and employed at some point over the last year.

SAFER (Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters)
Tel: 604-433-2218   
Helps make rents affordable for BC seniors with low to moderate incomes. Provides monthly payments to reimburse rents for eligible BC residents who are age 60 or over and who pay rent for their homes. BC Housing provides SAFER reimbursements to more than 17,000 households.

SOURCES Newton Resource Centre
#102-13771 72A Ave Surrey BC V3W 9C6
Tel: 604-596-2311     www.askanadvocate.ca
Wide range of supports, information and advocacy for income assistance, disability, housing and federal income assistance programs.  Also can help if you are being evicted (must have received notice) or with more immediate housing crisis. Offers community voicemail, pro bono access & free income tax service. Housing resources also available including lists of low cost rentals, phone for housing search as well as computers. Can help with loans to help with rent from the SOURCES Rent bank. Also offer more specific advocacy programs outlined below, plus others:
Disability Advocacy Program
This program provides information, referral, and advocacy with applying for, or appealing disability benefits through the Ministry of Social Development. Some help for medical and dental benefits, allowances, and other disability related benefits.
Mental Health Consumer Advocacy Program
Wide range of supports, information and advocacy. Help in dealing with income assistance, housing and federal programs like CPP.
Homeless Prevention Program
This program provides information, support, and advocacy for homeless individuals. Help available at the Newton Resource Centre and partner sites: The Front Room, Surrey Women’s Centre, Salvation Army Gateway of Hope, and Elizabeth Fry Society.
Poverty Law Program
Provides reliable poverty law services in English & Punjabi. Helps with fair access to income support programs and services through information, support and one-on-one advocacy. Help with income assistance and disability issues, tenant rights and mediation with landlords, EI and CPP issues and federal income related programs.

Looking for services not covered here?

Please ask at your local library. We are here to help.

You can also call 211 for a free, confidential, multilingual information and referral line to a full range of community, social, and government services. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you would like further information or if you spot a change that is needed you can contact us.

Surrey Libraries does not endorse or promote particular resources or programs, and inclusion here does not imply the Library’s endorsement.