Thursday, August 13, 2020
Surrey Libraries branches are now open for limited access.
We're happy to welcome you to our branches, but things are a bit different. To follow provincial health orders and WorkSafeBC guidelines, we have many new safety measures to protect our patrons and staff:
- Anyone displaying symptoms of illness will not be allowed into the branch
- Masks are required for entry and to be worn at all times while in the facility (except children under 12). Masks must cover the mouth and nose. Those who cannot wear a mask can access online library services or request curbside takeout.
- Keep your visit short, up to a maximum of one hour
- Do not enter the branch if you feel unwell or are required to self-isolate
- Branches have occupancy limits and not all services are available
- Groups with more than 6 people cannot enter the library together, even if all from the same household
Thank you for your continued patience and support as we face this pandemic together.
For information on COVID-19 exposures at the City of Surrey’s civic facilities including libraries, please click here.
All branches, except Port Kells, are open with modified hours. The Port Kells branch is open for holds pick-up and returns. Due to its small size, it isn't open for browsing. You can find all branch hours on our locations page.
- Holds pick-up
- Book returns (only during open hours at Clayton)
- Limited browsing of shelves to self-select material
- Computer access (45-minute time limit)
- Wi-Fi (45-minute time limit)
- Printing and photocopying
- Scanning (All locations except the Ocean Park and Port Kells branches)
- Self-checkout stations
- Patron assistance and technology help (some limits apply)
- Washroom access
- If you do not wish to enter the library and would still like to borrow material, please call your local branch to discuss your options.
- Group tours
- Group and silent study rooms
- Reading or study spaces and seating
- In-branch programs
- In-branch use of magazines and newspapers
- Renting meeting rooms
- Curiosity Corner (Children’s iPad Stations)
- Toys and games
- Book sales
- Accepting materials donations
What we’re doing
- Limiting the number of patrons in each library branch to aid physical distancing
- Hand sanitizer available for use
- Directional arrows on the floor
- Plexiglass dividers at service counters
- Increased cleaning of high-touch areas
- Training Library staff in safety measures
- Following the BC Centre for Disease Control guidelines for libraries. Please note that the BC CDC does not advise libraries to quarantine or disinfect their loaned materials as the risk of getting sick from library materials is very low. The BC CDC also has additional information for library visitors.
What you can do
- Stay home if you are feeling sick or are required to self-isolate
- Wear your mask at all times while in the library
- Wash or sanitize your hands before entering the building
- Practise physical distancing throughout the library
- No eating or drinking in the library
- Follow all signs
- Limit your time in the library (up to an hour) to reduce your risk and allow others a chance to use the library
- Always remain with your children when in the library