Discover, connect, inspire. Surrey Libraries makes it happen!
The next level of Takeout Service is here. Place holds or ask staff for recommendations. You can pick up and return at library branches in each of Surrey’s six town centres.
How It Works
1. Request materials
Phone: call your branch during Takeout hours
- City Centre Branch 604-598-7426
- Cloverdale Branch 604-598-7327
- Fleetwood Branch 604-598-7346
- Guildford Branch 604-598-7366
- Newton Branch 604-598-7406
- Semiahmoo Branch 604-592-6908
If you don't have a library card, call the open branch nearest you, or sign up online.
2. Once you receive a hold notification that your items are ready, bring your library card or ID and come to the library. Appointments for pick up are needed at Semiahmoo branch only. Call 604-592-6908 to book a time. Your items will be ready when you arrive. You can also return books during Takeout hours. Once notified, you have 3 weeks to pick up your items.
3. For orders placed through the form, staff will contact you if there are any questions and then gather the items and place them on hold. You will receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. Staff will also add any items you have waiting on hold to your order.
4. You can pick up materials during the times below.
- Tuesdays 10am–4pm
- Wednesdays 1pm–7pm
- Thursdays 10am–4pm
- Fridays 10am–4pm
- Saturdays 10am–4pm
Please note Takeout Service is closed Aug 1, 2, & 3 for BC Day
5. Collect your items
Follow the signs to the Takeout table.
Staff will bring your Takeout bag to the table and let you know when it is safe to approach. Retrieve your bag and take it home.
6. Materials Return
City Centre, Cloverdale, Fleetwood, Guildford, Newton, and Semiahmoo branches accept returns during Takeout hours.
7. Due Dates
Newly borrowed items are due September 8. Materials borrowed before March 14 are due July 29. There are currently no renewals.
8. For your safety
Staff handle materials following safe protocols, including good hand hygiene and frequent surface sanitization. Once you’ve picked up your materials, feel free to leave your package unopened for at least 24 hours, then enjoy!
- All materials returned to the library will be held in a 72-hour quarantine before being put back into circulation. Studies have shown the COVID-19 virus can survive up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. As books cannot be effectively cleaned and disinfected, it may be wise to store books for a minimum of 24 hours before handling them.
- Patrons should wash hands before and after handling books and other items, avoid touching their faces while reading and avoid sneezing or coughing onto the page while reading.
- Patrons who are immune compromised or otherwise susceptible to COVID-19 infection are advised to take out items from the library at their own risk.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I request Takeout if I have overdue fines?
Yes! Library fines are currently suspended.
2. Can I send a friend, neighbour or family member to pick up my order for me?
Yes. The person picking up for you needs to have your library card or card number and their ID to pick up your order. You are responsible for any loss or damage to items checked out with your library card.
3. Can I get Home Delivery for READ-Ability materials?
There are currently no home deliveries. If you have a friend or family member who can pick up materials for you, please call your branch to schedule a Takeout appointment.
4. When will the library reopen to the public?
The pandemic is unpredictable and prevents us from guaranteeing reopening dates. We are committed to providing as much service as possible and we are working toward opening branches to the public after Labour Day.
5. Can I donate items to the library?
No, we are currently not accepting any material donations. We are happy to accept financial donations.
6. Can I return items I borrowed from other libraries including Interlibrary loan?
Yes. Return these items to the six branches offering Takeout service during Takeout hours. Note: appointments are required at Semiahmoo branch only.